Mr. Kafi completed his graduation of M. Engg. (WEM) from Asian Institute of Technology (AIT), Thailand and M. Sc. Hydroprotech from Universite de Nice Sophia Antipolis, France in 2013. He completed his B. Sc. Engg. (WRE) from Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET) in February 2003.
Professional Track Record
Mr. Kafi started his career as Water Resources Engineer in Natural Resources Planners Limited and work there from March 2003 to June 2004. He was involved as Junior Engineer (Water Resources Engineer) in Bongo Dynamic Consultant Limited from July 2004 to November 2005. He started his career in Institute of Water Modelling since November 2005. Presently, Mr. Kafi is working as Head of Research and Development Unit of IWM. His working experience encompasses planning and management of water resources development & management project and research work as project leader, mathematical modelling in hydrology, hydrodynamics, and flood forecasting using MIKE 11, basin level water management using MIKE Basin; processing and analysis of hydro-meteorological data; monitoring and supervision of hydrographic & topographic survey; hydrological and participatory planning involving questionnaire survey in sub-district, district & national level consultation under District Water Resources Assessment (DWRA) study; conduction of stakeholders consultation for decision making in small scale water resources development sector project using tools of Participatory Rural Appraisal (PRA), Semi Structure Interview (SSI), Focus Group Discussion (FGD) and Key Informant Interview (KII), etc.
Mr. Kafi is a life Fellow of Institution of Engineers, Bangladesh (FIEB, 11309) and member of professional bodies such as ASCE (M. ASCE, 10214649), IAHS (MIAHS, 14945) and AITAA (BG006DEC2013). He attended several workshop, seminar and conference both in country and abroad. Mr. Kafi participated in several training program both as trainee and trainer.
Publication in Journal:
Publication in Conference:
- Kafi, M. A. H., Hossain, M. S., Chowdhury, A. K., Islam, M. T. & Masud, M. S. (2018). Assessment of long term evolution of morphodynamics of the Kalni-Kushiyara river system in Bangladesh using one dimensional morphological model. Journal of Civil Engineering (IEB), 46(1), 21-30.
- Anowar, M. M., Parveen, A., Ferdous, M. Z., Kafi, A. H. & Kabir, M. E. (2015). Base line survey for farmer livelihood improvement at farming system research and development, Lahirirhat, Rangpur. International Journal of Business, Management and Social Research, 2(1), 92-104. DOI: 10.18801/ijbmsr.020115.10
- Islam, M. T., Baki, A. B. M., Hossain, M. M., Mahalder, B., Kafi, M. A. H. & Begum, P. (2009). An assessment of carrying capacity of Dhaleshwari river using HEC-RAS model. Dhaka University Journal of Science, 57(1), 47-50.
- Khan, A. H., Kafi, M. A. H., Khaled, S. M. & Hossain, M. M. A. (2019). Application of machine learning algorithms for local level flood prediction: a simplest way of likelihood predictive model of monsoon river flood. 7th International Conference on Water and Flood Management-ICWFM 2019, 2-4 March 2019, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Mazumder, L. C., Kafi, M. A. H., Rana, M. A. H. & Masud, M. S. (2019). Application of quasi-2D hydraulic model for the local level flood and drainage management in a growing industrial area near the foot hills. International Conference on Water and Environmental Engineering (iCWEE2019), 19-22 January 2019, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Hossain, M. M., Masud, M. S., Kafi, M. A. H., Magumdar, T. K. & Hossain, M. S. (2018). Impact of future infrastructure and climate change in water availability in Brahmaputra basin. China, South and Southeast Asian Conference on Environmental and Ecological Risk Management, 28-29 September 2018, Dhaka, Bangladesh organized by Faculty of Earth and Environment Sciences, University of Dhaka and Yunan University, China.
- Khan, A. S., Masud, M. S., Kafi, M. A. H., Sultana, T., & Lopez, P. L. (2017). Comparison and evaluation of satellite and reanalysis based precipitation products for water resources management in the Brahmaputra river basin. European Geosciences Union (EGU) General Assembly 2017, 23-28 April 2017, Vienna, Austria.
- Badshah, M. A. H., Kafi, M. A. H., Islam, M. Z. & Islam, T. (2016). Analysis of the trends in temperature and precipitation variables for Sylhet city of Bangladesh using RClimDex toolkit. Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Civil Engineering for Sustainable Development (ICCESD 2016), 12-14 February 2016, KUET, Khulna, Bangladesh.
- Hossain, M. S., Pk., S., Kafi, M. A. H., Mazumder, L. C., Sultana, T. & Biswas, N. K. (2015). Application of mathematical modeling technique to improve flood control, drainage and irrigation facilities of Shariatpur district, Bangladesh. 5th International Conference on Water & Flood Management 6-8 March 2015, IWFM, BUET, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Pk., S., Kafi, M. A. H., Hossain, M. S. & Chowdhury, A. K. (2014). Arsenic contamination of groundwater in Bangladesh: a case study in Brahmanbaria district. 2nd International Conference on Advances in Civil Engineering, 26-28 December 2014, Chittagong University of Engineering & Technology (CUET), Chittagong-4349, Bangladesh.
Major Project Assignment
- Modelling Study and Statistical Analysis for Determination of Hydrological Parameters at Selected Locations on the Rivers
- Hydrological Study for a Water Reservoir Construction to Supply Water to the GPH Ispat Limited, Sitakunda, Chittagong
- Flood and Drainage Management Study at BSRM plots, Mirsharai, Chittagong
- Future Plan Study for Identification of Future Measures in connection to the ongoing West Gopalganj Integrated Water Management Project
- EU-Global Earth Observation for Integrated Water Resources Assessment (eartH2Observe)
- Mathematical Modelling and Topographic Survey under Consultancy Services for Management, Design, Supervision and other Related Services of Haor Flood Management and Livelihood Improvement Project (BWDB Part)
- Flood Hydrology Study of the Eastern Part of Dhaka Metropolitan Area, Bangladesh
- Data collection for Updating of General, Regional & Bay of Bengal Models
- Support services on mathematical modelling for Bangladesh side of the India-Bangladesh joint study team for joint study on proposed Tipaimukh hydro-electric (multipurpose) project of India
- Development of water management model for Selangor and Langat River Basin of Malaysia using MIKE Basin
- Establishment of Regional Flood Information system under HKH-HYCOS of ICIMOD
- Assess the impacts of 40 acres land filling from BWDB retention ponding area at Digun mouza near Uttara Ph-3
- Flood Forecasting Model Development for Upper Chao Phraya River Basin in Thailand
- Mathematical Modelling Study of Sureswar Flood Control, Drainage and Irrigation Project
- Water Resources Development Project in SW Region under JICA
- Khatlon Province Flood Risk Management Project in Tajikistan
- Update of Flood Forecasting and Warning Centre (FFWC) Super Model for 2007
- Hydrological Modelling for Impact of Climate Change on Agriculture
- Survey for Well Field Construction for Immediate Supplement to City Water Supply from Nearby Groundwater Sources
- Survey for Alleviation of Water Logging Problems in Chaktai & Moheshkhali Khal Catchments in Chittagong City
- Survey for Installation of Deep Tube Well (DTW) Project, Barind-II
- Secondary Town Integrated Flood Protection Project-II (STIFPP-II)
- Survey for Command Area Development-II (CAD-II)
- Survey for Khulna Water Supply Project, Bangladesh
- Survey for Kurigram Irrigation Project (South Unit), Bangladesh
- Survey for Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM) of Chalan Beel Project
- Survey for Mathematical Improvement Karatoya Navigation & Environmental Improvement
- District Water Resources Assessment (DWRA) Study for Manikganj, Dinajpur, Thakurgaon District
- Participatory Rural Appraisal (PRA) Survey under Small Scale Water Resources Development Sector Project-II (SSWRDSP-II)